I have failed. I logged back on. I ask those who follow me (all two of you) to not be too disappointed. Willpower has never been my strong point. That said, I did learn some important things from my three days away from facebook. (well 2 1/2 days).
1. Facebook does have it's place. It is a great way to stay in touch with the daily life of dear friends who live out of state. I love knowing how my friends are doing, what they are up to, and how life is treating them. I love that they can see pictures of my kids growing up and also know what I am up to.
2. Facebook is not so exciting that I need to check it 12 times daily. OK, so maybe I don't check it a dozen times, but maybe I do? After 2 1/2 days, nothing much had changed on facebook. Few statuses had changed, and life was plodding along as usual. No life changing events had happened since I last logged on. If they had, I am sure I would have gotten a phone call.
3. As a Christian, I think I need to be more acutely aware of what I post and why. Pride is very very deceptive and I am learning that it can sneak into your life without you even realizing it. Am I posting something just to hear my friends praise me? Am I posting something because it makes me look good? Do I look at other people's statues and feel jealous, prideful or annoyed? It is hard to be honest with yourself about this, but you have to be totally honest to see it. Facebook can easily nurture pride, and pride comes in many forms. All I can say is be careful.
4. Facebook is how people communicate these days, like it or not. People actually check and respond to facebook more than they do their e-mail. Facebook offers a way for people to tell multiple people their "news", without sending out a billion individual e-mails. In this fast paced society, I suppose that has it's advantages. But I think we need to be careful that facebook does not allow us to slip into the habit of replacing real relationship with the click of a mouse.
In conclusion, I am still torn about facebook. It is a love hate relationship, and I wish I could just give it up. However, due to the fact that it is an important communication tool with several friends, I can't bring myself to do it. So for now I will stay on. But I have gained a new perspective of how facebook can easily allow negative things to creep up into your life. I am back to facebook, but this time with boundaries.
No comments:
Post a Comment